1. In this study we found that perioperative vaginal bleeding in women undergoing cardiac surgery is not uncommon. However, this finding is self-limited and does not increase postoperative drainage or blood product transfusion.
2. Soni H, Kurkowski J, Guffey D, Dietrich JE, Srivaths LV. Gynecologic Bleeding Complications in Postmenarchal Female Adolescents Receiving Antithrombotic Medications. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2018 Jun;31(3):242-246.
3. Sj€alander A, Friberg B, Svensson P, et al. Menorrhagia and minor bleeding symptoms inwomen on oral anticoagulation. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2007; 1:24.
4. Huq FY, Tvarkova K, Arafa A, et al: Menstrual problems and contraception in women of reproductive age receiving oral anticoagulation. Contraception 2011; 2:84
5. Castellino G, Cuadrado MJ, Godfrey T, et al. Characteristics of patients with antiphospholipid syndrome with major bleeding after oral anticoagulant treatment. Ann Rheum Dis 2001; 5:60
6. Martinelli I, Lensing AW, Middeldorp S, et al. Recurrent venous thromboembolism and abnormal uterine bleeding with anticoagulant and hormone therapy use. Blood 2016; 11:127
7. Dietrich JE, Srivaths L: Navigating hormones and gynecologic concerns among female adolescents in the settings of thrombophilia and anticoagulation. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2015; 6:28
8. Sonmezer M, Atabekoglu C, Cengiz B, et al: Depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate in anticoagulated patients with previous hemorrhagic corpus luteum. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 2005; 1:10.
9. Peake L, Grover S, Monagle P, et al: Effect of warfarin on menstruation and menstrual management of the adolescent on warfarin. J Paediatr Child Health 2011; 12:47.
10. Wilbur A, Goldstein L, Prywitch B: Hemorrhagic ovarian cysts in patients on anticoagulation therapy: CT findings. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1993; 4:17.
11. Hjortdal VE, Larsen SH, Wilkens H, Jakobsen A, Pedersen TA. Menstrual
bleeding after cardiac surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014 Jan;45(1):171-3.
12. Li C, Yang M, Wang C, Wang C, Fan J, Chen Z, Wei X, Zhang G, Bai Y, Zhu X, Xie Y, Li M. Preoperative Factors Predicting Intraoperative Blood Loss in Female Patients With Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2015 Jan; 94(1):e359.
13. Rosin C, Brunner M, Lehr S, et al. The formation of platelet leukocyte aggregates varies during the menstrual cycle. Platelets 2006;17:61–66.
14. Freedman JE, Loscalzo J. Platelet-monocyte aggregates: bridging thrombosis and inflammation. Circulation. 2002;105:2130–2132.
15. Peters MJ, Dixon G, Kotowicz KT, et al. Circulating platelet neutrophil complexes represent a subpopulation of activated neutrophils primed for adhesion, phagocytosis and intracellular killing. Brit J Haematol. 1999;106:391–399.
16. Knol HM, Kemperman RF, Kluin-Nelemans HC, et al. Haemostatic variables during normal menstrual cycle. Thromb Haemost. 2012;107:22–29.
17. Ibrahimi E, Koni M. Effects of estrogens and progestagens on the primary variables of haemostasis. Int J Reprod Contracep Obstet Gynecol. 2014;3:31–33.
18. Van Rooijen M, Bremme K, Rosing J, et al. 69 rapid activation of haemostasis after hormonal emergency contraception. Thromb Res. 2007;119:S116.