ANTERIOR LEAFLET AUGMENTATION: AN EFFECTIVE METHOD TO REPAIR TRICUSPID VALVE REGURGITATION

Authors

SHAHEED RAJAIE CARDIOVASCULAR MEDICAL AND RESEARCH CENTER, TEHRAN, IRAN

Abstract

Objectives- As an invaluable surgical tool, autologous pericardium has been successfully used to repair many cardiac lesions. The encouraging results from its use in repairing heart valves have been applied to repair tricuspid valve regurgitation (TR). In the present study, we report our preliminary results using autologous pericardium as an alternative surgical technique in repairing tricuspid valve insufficiency.
Methods- From June 2002 to November 2006, 22 patients (mean age 39.7 years) with heart valve disease underwent tricuspid valve repair by anterior leaflet augmentation with glutaraldehydetreated autologous pericardium. Nineteen patients (86.4%) had pure tricuspid valve regurgitation (TR), while the remaining three patients (13.6%) had significant associated tricuspid valve stenos is in whomcommissurotomy was carried out. TR was considered severe in 18 patients and moderate to severe in four cases. All had associated left-sided heart valve surgery, except two patients. Concomitant adjustable tricuspid annuloplasty by pericardial band was performed in 12 patients. The mean follow-up period was 10.39 months (range 1 to 42 months).
Results- There was one in-hospital death due to postoperative multiorgan failure. One patient developed partial detachment of the pericardial patch, which was successfully repaired. Echocardiography data showed a significant decrease in the severity of TR: trivial to mild in 68.2% (n=15), mild to moderate in 22.7% (n=5), and moderate to severe in 9.1% (n=2) of the patients.
Conclusions- Anterior tricuspid leaflet augmentation is a safe, effective and appealing surgical technique in dealing with patients with tricuspid valve regurgitation. Further studies are, however, mandatory to evaluate its long-term outcome.

Keywords